Recently on my mind: Dun lose weight.

Previous Posts

Archives

More Bloggers


My CaReLeSs WhIsPeR-Think UNIT TRUST, Think Agnes

Saturday, April 23, 2005
Presentation=To Train
I wanna blog about my 'BTD-Training and Development' presentation :) *Delayed blog* The presenters were supposed to be the trainers and the rest of the class being the trainees. We had me audrey joanna and claudia in the group and we named our training centeer The Transformer Inc. Our presentation title was "Preparing trainers to broaden their role to become change agents" My group was the 2nd group to present, and we're glad that it was over early and we could enjoyed the others' presentation without worries. Having to be the earlier group to present is not alwiz a bad thing though.

We started off by telling a story about change, together with a demonstration. I did the story telling and my group member was responsible for the demonstration. Let me brief you on the story…a gal came back from school one day and told her mom that she was facing lotsa pressures from tests, assignments and that she couldn't take it anymore. Her mom upon hearing that, brought her to the kitchen. In the kitchen there are 3 pots filled with water. She put a carrot in the first pot, an egg in the second, and coffee powder in the third then boiled them all. The carrot turned soft, the egg turned hard and the coffee powder had blended well with the water. So the mom told her daugther that she should be like the coffee where she must be able to blend with the environment and change it (juz like the coffee powder changes the water to become coffee), and not be like the carrot or egg that become soft and hard inside.

I believe that this theory applies to everybody. We should be able to face the challenges in life and not let them change us, instead we must learn to be flexible so that we can adapt to the demanding and challenging environment, if better, influence them. We have the capabilities to make things better.

Then after the story telling, we went on with the individual slides presentation then some activities for the class. We ended it with a short movie clip from Ice Age. Remember the part where that dunno-wat creature tries to force the newfound nut into the already full storage area, and when he did that, the whole place cracked and exploded and all the nuts flew all over. We related it to change by explaining that if changes in the organization is not anticipated and is being forced, then the change may face resistance from all and will most likely to bring detrimental effect to the organization. Equivalent to the phrase 'change imposed is the change opposed'…

We had games/activities during all the sessions, also prizes and refreshments. In my group, we came up with 2 activities, one was personality test and the other was jigsaw puzzle game. One of the groups had this activity/game called the electrical chair. We gotta form a group of 3. One group at a time will have to go to the front and one person will sit on the chair and be given a word. She then has to let the other 2 guess that word. For example one of the words I got was socks. So I went " smth you wear on your foot, b4 you wear your shoes.." You get the idea now? My other 2 group members were Audrey and Claudia. Where's Joanna? Celebrating Good Friday…didn't attend training.

One of the gals in another group said this " smth a wife must do to the husband…..a wife must do what to the husband.." Oh my goodness, I started to bite my lips already so that I dun burst out in laughter. The word had already popped out in my head and I wanted to pretend it wasn't there as obviously that couldn't be the given word. Then thanks to my sifu sitting beside me. She giggled and whispered the word my ears and started laufing. FYI, the lecturer can see us. Eh fren, can't you keep the word to urself first ar and tell me later? Hahaha ish ish. Yeah we thought it was the word SEX and it wasn't..it was SINCERE. Duh ;p

That game was to demonstrate good communication skill. Let me see, what else? Another game was correcting the grammar. There were 10 questions and the fastest person to raise their hand and answer each question correctly would win a crispy chocolate bar. I got 2 bars, Claudia got 2, Audrey got 3. I didn't wanna prove anything so I basically juz sat back and let the others have the chance to participate. We knew we could have dominated the game and won more bars..but again, 3 of us have grabbed 6 bars and that was already like 60% of the whole thing hehehe. If Joanna was there (all the group members in Transformer Inc) perhaps (juz perhaps) we 4 could have 'sapu kering' all the chocolates, or 8 bars, if not all? Wahahaha….nah we're not that inconsiderate/thoughtless/greedy, whatever you call it :p

Each of the activity must carry a purpose. These activities act as a mean to convey the training objectives, ie what has been learned, how and what should be the way of doing smth. Our jigsaw was to teach team working skill, communication skill in group and problem solving skill. It was fun being the presenters too, I must say! Perhaps we have got so used to presentations we have no fear in presenting anymore..good thing!

This whole training presentations lasted for about 2-3 weeks and every session was cool. It was so close to finals, so this presentation was kinda like a relaxation for us. This is one of the best presentations. It was quite an interactive kind of presentation. The lecturer did give feedback to all presenting groups and individuals. The comment I received was good, at least I know I achieved my personal objective and my own expectation/target for my individual presentation. I wanna blog about my very last presentation in university too(no not this one) but guess I'll leave that to future blog.

wowww...... cant believe that u do this kinda things in uni...tsk tsk tsk..  

_____________________

Post a Comment